Friday, September 2, 2011

Currently,

Bossypants, Tina Fey 

This week: 117 pages
Last week: 128 pages
Semester Total: 245 pages

(In my defense, a large chunk of my free time is no longer spent on Facebook; it is spent on sleeping. Which I believe is a worthwhile endeavor. Even if it does cut into my limited reading time. But now I'm just making excuses for myself.) 

Sentences of the Week:

"...the women I know in comedy are all good daughters, good citizens, mild-mannered college graduates. Maybe we women gravitate toward comedy because it is a socially acceptable way to break rules and a release from our daily life" (138). - Bossypants
"So my unsolicited advice to women in the workplace is this. When faced with sexism or ageism or lookism or even really aggressive Buddhism, ask yourself the following question: 'Is this person in between me and what I want to do?' If the answer is no, ignore it and move on" (144). - Bossypants
"...I would carry around a very specific form of physical anxiety that feels kind of like my heart shrinking up like a raisin" (201). - Bossypants

I liked the first quote because I think it's an interesting take on women in comedy. The funniest women I know are nothing like the big-mouthed, loud women on MadTV. They're soft-spoken and more reminiscent of Michael Cera than of Eddie Murphy (unfortunately, I can't think of very many female comedians people would recognize). 
I liked the second quote because it really confirmed for me that Bossypants is indeed at least a little bit a self-help book for women in the workplace. But I ignored this and moved on. 
The last quote is possibly my favorite because I know that exact feeling. I get it whenever I check my grades on Powerschool, whenever I take a big test, and whenever I have to make a really difficult jump on a really excellent videogame. 



No comments:

Post a Comment