Thursday, September 22, 2011

Currently,

Columbine, David Cullen
Battle Royale, Koushun Takami

This week: 160 pages
Last week: 102 pages
Semester total: 634 pages

"If you are alive, there is hope for a better day and something good to happen. If there is nothing good left in the destiny of a person, he or she will die" (54). - A Long Way Gone

“To say he was unfriendly would be the biggest understatement since the captain of the Hindenberg said, ‘I smell gas’” (61). - Bossypants
"So my unsolicited advice to women in the workplace is this. When faced with sexism or ageism or lookism or even really aggressive Buddhism, ask yourself the following question: 'Is this person in between me and what I want to do?' If the answer is no, ignore it and move on" (144). - Bossypants
The first quote is my favorite. I think it's really powerful, and it's just so gosh-darned thought-provoking. It also offers hope. Because as long as you're alive, something good is coming.
The following quotes tied for second and are from the immortal Miss Tina Fey. I like my second sentence because it's a great balance between humor and literary devices such as hyperbole and allusion. I like the third sentence because I think it's genuinely good advice. There's really no point in dealing with someone unless that person is integral to what you want in life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment