Thursday, September 1, 2011

More Bossypants (by the forever lovely Miss Tina Fey)!

So I read some more Bossypants. How exciting. I'm trying to ration it into portions because it's really good, and I want it to last forever. Also, it's a nonfiction book, so unlike reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, it's not like I'm ripping through the book thinking, "I need to know the end! Is Tina a horcrux? Does she die at the end?" No. I know for a fact that Tina Fey does not die at the end. However, I remain uncertain as to whether or not she is a horcrux. This requires further investigation.

I decided that doing a plot summary of each chapter, while fun, was far too time-consuming, so I'll give you the quick and dirty version of what happened in the second half of Tina Fey's book. Here, we find Tina Fey finally joining the ranks of the legendary SNL show. She is barely hired. Later, she goes on to write a pilot for 30 Rock. The show is almost not broadcasted but makes it on national television (thank you, Alec Baldwin). Being a part of 30 Rock, Fey spends a lot of time teetering between "Acting on SNL" stress levels and "Coal Mining in the U.S." stress levels. Her stress culminates into a three-ring circus of stress when she (successfully) juggles getting Oprah on 30 Rock, being Sarah Palin on SNL, and planning her daughter's Peter Pan-themed birthday party. The final chapter I read was about how Tina Fey portrayed Sarah Palin on SNL.
Also, it's worth mentioning that there are two chapters smushed between SNL and 30 Rock. They are "Amazing, Gorgeous, Not Like That" and "Dear Internet." "Amazing, Gorgeous, Not Like That" is a step-by-step guide to doing a good photoshoot with a little blurb about Photoshop at the end (for the record, Tina Fey is pro-Photoshop, particularly when it comes to eliminating her shark eyes). "Dear Internet" is a series of fan letters and Fey's responses. Fan mail topics include fixing Tina Fey's hideous scar; Tina Fey being an ugly, pear-shaped, bitchy, overrated troll; Tina Fey ruining SNL; Tina Fey being sexually harassed; and Tina Fey being ugly despite her plastic surgery. As predicted, Miss Fey responds with class and poise and the occasional f-bomb.

Tina Fey does not disappoint. Even though this part of her book made me realize that Bossypants is part self-help book (something that I will never admit because I can legitimately get away with passing it off as an autobiography which sounds cooler than a self-help book), I still really enjoyed it. I don't know if you've picked up on this, but I happen to really enjoy Tina Fey's humor, and I'm making it my business to meet her before one of us dies.

No comments:

Post a Comment