Tuesday, November 8, 2011

every single day - John Straley


I found this while searching for poems. It doesn't quite fit in my anthology, but I like it nonetheless. I think it captures the essence of what I, personally, think love is. It's not so much dewy roses and starry-eyed glances; rather, it's more about the triggers in our minds that connect emotion to memory and memory to person. 

Suppose I said the word “springtime”
and I wrote the words “king salmon”
on a piece of paper
and mailed it to you.
When you opened it
would you remember that afternoon we spent
together in the yellow boat
when the early whales were feeding
and we caught our first fish of the year?
 
Or would you remember that time off Cape Flattery
when you were a little girl:
your father smoking, telling stories as he ran the boat,
then the tug and zing of that very first fish
spooling off into the gray-green world;
you laughing and brushing back your hair
before setting the hook?
 
I know I am hard to understand sometimes
particularly when you are standing
at the post office with only a piece of paper
saying “king salmon” on it
but just think of it as a promissary note
and that electric tug, that thrill
pulling your mind into deep water
is how I feel about you every,
single day.

No comments:

Post a Comment