Thursday, October 6, 2011

And Then There Were None - The Finale

So I finished reading And Then There Were None. I really love Agatha Christie. So much. Just so much love for Agatha Christie.
Without giving away too much about the ending, the book closes with a note from the real murderer. So if you're like me and you like to take a peak at the ending before you finish a book--don't. At least not for this book. Because you'll quickly notice whodunnit.
Anyways, I think the most intriguing thing about the murderer is the reasoning behind why he/she set up this elaborate scheme on Indian Island. Once you read the ending, you realize how everything was constructed, and you go, "Oooh!" every time you draw connections between what the murderer admits and the events in the book.
Also, while I would never make the argument that Agatha Christie is a literary genius (she's a fantastic author, but the language she uses is pretty colloquial, nothing much to say about it, to be honest), she does have her moments. In And Then There Were None, this moment occurs when the murderer confesses that he/she has "a pitiful human wish that some one should know just how clever [he's/she's] been," referring to the well-tuned plot the murderer had come up with (274).

Overall, And Then There Were None is an awesome book. It represents a period of time in my book-reading life when I was obsessed with mystery novels, it brings back fond memories of my 6th grade field trip, and it just engrosses the reader. Although, I do admit that reading it the second or third time through is not nearly as thrilling as reading it the first time through. And understandably so. But anyways, I would recommend And Then There Were None to anyone. The language is simple enough so that even some well-read elementary students could understand it fairly well, but the plot is engaging enough so that people of all ages should enjoy the book. And Then There Were None really gets down to business. There's no dillydallying, so the plot races along at a really satisfying pace. My only criticism for the book, I guess, would be there are some situations that are a little too implausible or a little too convenient in my opinion. The murderer's plan could have gone wrong in ten different ways, but it just so happened to work. Iunno. It's not a big deal. Just go into the book open-minded. Read a chapter a day so you can kind of prolong the experience and mull over whodunnit. And I think you (dear reader) will find it to be a pretty quick and enjoyable read.

No comments:

Post a Comment