Friday, October 14, 2011

Quartlerly

So this quarter, my reading's been a bit eclectic?

I like to believe that I'm a lot smarter and higher class than I really am. Hence, I like to read books that make me feel educated and cultured, meaning I tend to gravitate towards books of substance as opposed to teeny fiction. Not that there's anything wrong with teeny fiction, but, in general, it's not exactly a worthwhile subject of discussion ("Oh my God, that Edward guy is so freakin' hot"). However, the great thing about pretending to be better than I am by reading excellent books is that excellent books are excellent. They're really engrossing, and I thoroughly enjoy them.

This year in general, I think my reading tastes have definitely branched out. I'm kind of been bounding back and forth between fiction and nonfiction. Prior to this year, my reading was very fiction-centric, so this is a recent development. As far as where and when I read, I do the bulk of my reading after dinner in the living room of my house in front of the fireplace. It's too warm to make proper use of this fireplace, and it's not even a real fireplace, but I like to curl up there with a good book and pretend that I'm just oh-so classy.

Nothing this quarter has really challenged me, as far as my reading goes. The books I choose are pretty easy to understand. My goal for next quarter is to read the Bible. I'm gonna do it, goshdarnit! I always tell myself I will, but I never do. I mean, I'm usually trucking along pretty well until BAM! And then Isaac begot Jacob who begot Seth who begot (these are random names; I'm pretty sure that's not how it happened)... And so on. Anyways, I think it's a pretty good choice since a large chunk of the world live their lives by this book (or at least claim to).
Oh, also, I want to better divide my reading. I always find myself reading maybe 80 pages on Thursday night in order to meet the page requirement. And it's not that I dislike reading; I just always forget that reading's an option. Which sounds weird, but when I'm done with my homework, all I can think of is YouTube and sleep. Say hello to the next generation, everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment